24 August 2010

Text as Texture 2



This is my second example of text as texture. I am experimenting with abstract layouts using text to create shape and texture. My last post was my least successful sketch thus far. This example is a little better. The overall shape is more interesting and the walnut ink in the lower left corner creates some interest as well.  Although, there is a little more contrast in value from the previous post, it is still not enough. And then there is the issue of the blank spot in the upper left corner. Something about it is appealing but uncomfortable at the same time. Overall the sketch is too clean, not enough background depth and not enough variance in size of lettering.

I have generated about 4 of these so far and am saving the better ones for last. The colors are being kept the same and to a minimum. There is black sumi ink, walnut ink, and turquoise watercolor.


5 comments:

  1. your letterforms are fabulous, and this abstract layout is magnificent!!! you're making this look waaaaay too easy (just the letterforms alone are a masterpiece!!) and i love this color palette! :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thin strokes on this piece really draw me in. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the Space around this one!
    And it has lots of great contrast.
    I want to see more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually really like the negative space, your color choices, and the movement of the piece.

    ReplyDelete